Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Playful Companionship

Not all love burns with white-hot passion. In fact, if love is ONLY white-hot passion it's likely consume itself, then fall to ashes like burning paper. Of course there's a love that smoulders, occasionally bursting into flame. But love for the long-haul is often that companionly love that rests easily and confidently... and sometimes manifests itself playfully.

Such is the love in "Year Day" by Jane Kenyon. Before her death, Jane and her husband, poet Donald Hall, lived on his family farm in New Hampshire where they loved, laughed, cried, played and wrote.

Intimacy in Jane Kenyon's world often mingled loving with playfulness as in the following poem.

================================

Year Day


We are living together on the earth.
The clock's heart
beats in it's wooden chest.
The cats follow the sun through the house.
We lie down together at night.

Today, you work in your office,
and I in my study. Sometimes
we are busy and casual.
Sitting here, I can see
the path we have made on the rug.

The hermit gives up
after thirty years of hiding in the jungle.
The last door to the last room
comes unlatched. Here are the gestures
of my hands. Wear them in your hair.


Jane Kenyon

12 Comments:

At 12:19 AM, April 01, 2006, Blogger heiresschild said...

hi dale.

it's 3:10am here, i just woke up for a bit, and decided to visit some of the blogs. love this poem. i don't always understand what the poet is trying to capture, but poetry is beautiful. like paintings, it's fun to take your time looking at the masterpiece, in this case the poem, and going back again and again to see and understand something new.

hope things are going great in your neck of the woods. we're finally having spring weather here--in the 70's. perhaps i'll see you on I-M. have a great weekend.

sylvia

 
At 5:07 AM, April 01, 2006, Blogger Dale Savage said...

Hi there, Sylvia,

I love this one too. Many of Kenyon's poems like "Let Evening Come" bear repeated reading to find nuance and insight. Many others, like this one, are like photos of small, meaningful moments.

This one strikes me as the second type. I love the image of her sneaking up behind her husband at his desk and playfully showing her love by rumpling his hair.

I love the gentle, casual companionship of their love in that moment.

Up writing a bit here this morning. Then work during the day. I will be around tonight. So maybe we can chat a bit.

Have a great day,
Dale

 
At 11:34 PM, April 03, 2006, Blogger heiresschild said...

hi dale,

you seem to capture so well the essence of the poet and the poetry.
look forward to reading more.

wha'cha writing?


sylvia

 
At 7:30 PM, April 04, 2006, Blogger Dale Savage said...

Hi Sylvia,

Just working on a few half-finished poems and also on a hand-written gift for a friend.

Hope your week's going well.

Dale

 
At 1:42 PM, April 09, 2006, Blogger Dale Savage said...

Hi there, Suzan,

I enjoyed chatting with you too. I *did* get a copy of Tara Road through the library. I'll give it a read as soon as I can work it in. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm glad your sciatica's better. That can be pretty miserable.

I hope you are enjoying your tennis! Are you still doing your platform tennis?

Hugs,
Dale

 
At 5:25 PM, April 15, 2006, Blogger heiresschild said...

hi dale,

HAPPY EASTER to you and your family.

blessings,
sylvia

 
At 12:02 AM, April 22, 2006, Blogger droma said...

Hello,
What are you doing up so late?
Got to go, am getting mail.
Ellen

 
At 12:03 AM, April 22, 2006, Blogger droma said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:33 AM, April 22, 2006, Blogger Dale Savage said...

Hi there, Ellen,

I was reading mail... or sending mail. It's hard to keep track at this time of night!

I hope your weekend's a good one!

Dale

 
At 8:54 AM, June 18, 2006, Blogger beachgirl said...

HAPPY FATHERS DAY DALE!!!!
MAY ALL THE HAPPINESS YOU HAVE SHOWERED ON YOUR DAUGHTERS COME BACK TO YOU TODAY.

CAROL AND IZZIE

 
At 11:26 AM, July 16, 2006, Blogger heiresschild said...

hi dale,

re-reading "playful companionship" again. i don't think you can ever read something too much. i think each time you get a new perspective or new revelation on it. it's not something you missed before, but because we grow each day and have new experiences, we can then envision something new in our reading. does that sound odd? know what i mean?

sylvia

 
At 1:08 PM, July 16, 2006, Blogger Dale Savage said...

Hi there Sylvia, to me one of the things that defines a good poem is that I want to come back and re-read it. Many of Jane Kenyon's are that way for me.

They're a bit like a cut gemstone--depending on my mood, the day's experience, whatever casts my mind's light in a different direction--I see or feel something in a new way.

Or... I just enjoy the comfort of familiar thoughts and feelings arising from the words.

Dale

 

Post a Comment

<< Home